Nope.. not strange at all Stuart... but I would tend to lean toward it being caused most recently by people that are still using... or trying to use version 1.37. That version is no longer compatible with the current version and will cause exactly the behavior that you describe here.
We have sort of a double whammy going on against us here and can use all the help we can get in getting people to the new version.
Streamer has a built in notification system for updates but because of problems with the website host that we used to have (1and1 internet... don't go there ever), that function got broken in v1.37. We've updated it and re-tested it with version 1.38 and 1.39 and it again works fine. The modifications we made should keep us from having that problem again if/when we change website hosts again.
BUT.. for now we must do everything we can to propogate the word by other methods.
Let's do that and see if this doesn't clear up over just a bit of time.